What are gas pycnometers used for?
And in which industries are they particularly useful?
The BULKINSPECTOR is a cross-sectional instrument for a wide range of industries, but it is mainly used in the field of physico-chemical analysis (general research & automated laboratory analysis), monitoring and quality control (production, offline in the laboratory or online in plants).
It is used to determine the density (also skeletal density, true density) and mixed density or apparent density of solids.
Roughly summarized, it can be said that it is used for the analysis of pure substances, generally solids and component densities. In addition, it is used for compositional testing of 2-component (heterogeneously composed) composites or mixtures (e.g. testing of metal contents) and determination of internal porosity (void volume fraction of closed pores) with known solid density (e.g. foam).
Additive Manufacturing | Rapid Prototyping
- Component characterization by determining the solid content in 3D printing
Building materials technology
- Determination of density/porosity of materials
- For example: Wood, concrete, lightweight materials like gypsum board, lightweight concrete, pumice, asphalt, flooring, foam glass for insulation, and aerated concrete.
Chemistry | Pharmaceuticals | Cosmetics
- Determination of properties/characteristics: purity of products, chemical conversion by reaction, water content, thermal expansion coefficient, etc.
- Chemistry: fertilizer industry
- Pharmaceuticals: determination of tablet compaction and detection of pore inclusions
- Pharma: Active pharmaceutical ingredients (API)
- Cosmetics: detection of pore inclusions in lipsticks
- Color pigments
Geology | Mineralogy
- Core samples: measurement of porosity of drill cores
- Assessment of the proportion of liquid absorption / gas absorption of minerals
Composites | Plastics
- Quality assurance of foamed plastics
- Determination of the filler content of plastics/composites
- Carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP), glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP), wood fiber composites
- For example: in plastics technology for aircraft & spacecraft construction, motor vehicle construction (automotive industry), for the manufacture of sports equipment
Mineral raw materials & mining
- Roller compaction
- Bulk material compaction
- Copper scrap
- Composite materials
- Particle technology in chemistry, process engineering, processing technology, separation technology and sorting technology
- Powder metallurgy: measurement of sinter/ & cast densities to check for voids
- Sinter materials in general
- Powder metallurgy, cold isostatic pressing (CIP), hot isostatic pressing (HIP)
- Ceramic materials (technical ceramics, also sanitary ceramics)
And much more
- Materials research
- Materials science
- PET coke: determination of porosity
- Particle technology in chemistry, process engineering, processing technology, separation technology and sorting technology / recycling