What are gas pycnometers used for?
And in which industries are they particularly useful?
The BULKINSPECTOR is a cross-sectional instrument for a wide range of industries, but it is mainly used in the field of physico-chemical analysis (general research & automated laboratory analysis), monitoring and quality control (production, offline in the laboratory or online in plants).
It is used to determine the density (also skeletal density, true density) and mixed density or apparent density of solids.
Roughly summarized, it can be said that it is used for the analysis of pure substances, generally solids and component densities. In addition, it is used for compositional testing of 2-component (heterogeneously composed) composites or mixtures (e.g. testing of metal contents) and determination of internal porosity (void volume fraction of closed pores) with known solid density (e.g. foam).
Building materials technology
- Determination of density/porosity of materials
- For example: Wood, concrete, lightweight materials like gypsum board, lightweight concrete, pumice, asphalt, flooring, foam glass for insulation, and aerated concrete.
- Color pigments
Composites | Plastics
- Quality assurance of foamed plastics
- Determination of the filler content of plastics/composites
- Carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP), glass fiber reinforced plastic (GFRP), wood fiber composites
- For example: in plastics technology for aircraft & spacecraft construction, motor vehicle construction (automotive industry), for the manufacture of sports equipment
- Copper scrap
- Composite materials
- Particle technology in chemistry, process engineering, processing technology, separation technology and sorting technology
And much more
- Materials research
- Materials science
- PET coke: determination of porosity
- Particle technology in chemistry, process engineering, processing technology, separation technology and sorting technology / recycling